When it comes to the best bike locks available in the market today, it’s not surprising that the Kryptonite brand often comes on top. Since the early 1970’s, the company has developed a wide range of security products for bicycles, snow sports and power sports at different price points. Aside from Kryptonite’s reputation, it also prides itself in its legendary customer service, having replaced hundreds of thousands of locks for free as a testament to its commitment to provide truly secure products.
In this article, we’ll check out three of the finest bike locks for under 50 USD. Aside from the price, they were also selected based on hundreds of customer reviews.
This particular model from Kryptolok Series 2 comes with a Transit FlexFrame Bracket for easy mounting to the frame tubing. It also rotates 360 degrees in order to align with the bike’s frame more effectively. Moreover, it is made from 13mm hardened performance steel shackle which can resist cutting and leverage attacks. It’s disc-style cylinder is resistant to picking and drilling. At around $37, this is the best bike lock for it’s price point.
- The U-lock is sturdy as advertised. Crooks will have to bring a chainsaw with them to be able to cut through the metal. In other words, it will take them a while to get through the lock.
- The price is a steal!
- The instruction manual is difficult to follow. It definitely needs improvement. You’ll be better off looking up for clearer instructions on YouTube.
- The plastic mounting hardware isn’t easily replaceable and may also easily break.
- At 3.6 lbs., it does add weight if you plan to carry the lock instead of mounting it.
The Evolution Mini Bike U-Lock from Kryptonite has an EZ-mount bracket as well as a lighted key for nighttime use. All in all, the package includes 3 keys (one is lighted and battery can be replaced). Like the Kryptolok Series 2, it also features a disc-style cylinder to better protect against picking and drilling. The steel shackle is made of 1/2 inch hardened high-grade carbon alloy. It has a short crossbar and shackle for a compact fit and better security. For a little less than $47, you’ll get a compact yet secure bike lock from one of the leading brands out there.
- At 2.3 lbs., it is lightweight and small enough (3″ x 5.5″) to fit in your back pocket – it’s greatest selling point.
- Because it’s small, thieves will have a hard time getting through the lock with their tools.
- Will rust if left in the rain for prolonged periods.
- The mounting bracket is sub-par and does not stay secure.
This bike lock features a hardened steel chain that’s reinforced with boron and titanium. It is then covered with a black nylon sleeve for additional protection. The keyway cover keeps the lock dry during rainy season. The package includes 2 keys. At $30, this is one of the best chain locks at its price point.
- The 3-foot chain is sturdy as advertised.
- The locks is sufficiently durable that it can manage to soak in water for extended periods.
- At 5.4 lbs., it’s certainly heavy.
- Key can potentially get jammed halfway in. Key in and key out carefully.
- The sleeve is sub-par and can tear off easily.